The College Family Loan is for creditworthy borrowers or borrowers with one or more creditworthy cosigners.
To be eligible for this supplemental private student loan program, you must:
- Not have defaulted on any private or government student loan.
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States. Cosigners must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States and must reside in the United States. Military addresses are considered U.S. addresses if designated as an APO or FPO.
- Be of majority age pursuant to applicable law at the time of application or be an emancipated minor. An applicant not of majority age may apply with an eligible cosigner.
The student for whom the funds are being requested must:
- Be accepted, enrolled or attending a nonprofit, Title IV eligible, degree-granting, accredited college or university or nonprofit school of nursing approved by the Iowa Board of Nursing on at least a half-time basis, as half-time basis is defined by the school.
- Be making satisfactory academic progress in an eligible education program.
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
- Complete a Student Authorization Form.
To qualify for this loan, you or your cosigners must have:
- Monthly payments for approved credit (mortgages, rent, car loans, credit cards and other forms of credit, including this loan application) that do not exceed 40% of gross monthly income (if a mortgage or rent is not included, debt-to-income ratio cannot exceed 25%). All student loan debt will be treated as though it is in repayment.
- Continuous employment over the last two years. (This requirement may be waived for retirees, disabled persons or those receiving a verified income.)
- A FICO score of at least 670. (The FICO score used is the TransUnion FICO Score 4, which is based on data from TransUnion and may be different from other credit scores. FICO is a registered trademark of the Fair Isaac Corporation.)
- No more than two accounts reporting 30-day delinquencies and no delinquencies of 60 days or more during the previous two years.
- No charge-offs, repossessions, collection accounts, judgments, foreclosures, garnishments by credit providers or tax liens.
- No previous bankruptcies.
- Not defaulted on any private or government student loan.
Note: For joint cosigned loans, at least one cosigner must meet all credit underwriting criteria with the exception of the debt-to-income ratio, which the cosigners may combine debt and income to calculate the debt-to-income ratio. For loans with only one cosigner, either the applicant or cosigner must meet all credit underwriting criteria with the exception of the debt-to-income ratio, which the applicant and cosigner may combine debt and income to calculate the debt-to-income ratio.
Please note that the list of criteria above may not be exhaustive. Iowa Student Loan may require you or your cosigners to meet additional criteria in order to qualify for a loan. Iowa Student Loan reserves the right to change the list of criteria in any way from time to time.
This loan must be:
- No more than the student's cost of attendance minus other aid annually.
- No more than $80,000 cumulative.
- At least $1,001.
Interest capitalizes at:
- The end of any qualifying deferment period for all loan options.
- The start of repayment status for loans that do not require principal and interest or interest-only payments while the student is enrolled and during the separation period.
- The final disbursement of loans that require monthly principal and interest payments while the student is enrolled in school and that have more than one disbursement.